Saturday, January 8, 2011

A Little Update


Well, the kitties are starting to coexist peacefully, and I am happy to report that not only have they been sharing spaces, but Slinky has also licked Sapphire several times and everyone seems fine with that. Whew! The only problem is that Slinky is getting quite fat, as she cleans out the bowl of whatever Sapphire leaves behind. It's a work in progress.

This next week will be my last as Long Term Sub. It's been a long, complicated 5 months since I started at the school. First the job I accepted was changed to part time, then I took on the permanent building sub job, that was eventually cut from the budget. Now the long term sub position is ending and it took me a long time to decide what I wanted to do as I moved forward. I applied for quite a few positions within schools, but became frustrated that many (read: most) were not permanent positions, and I just didn't want to be going through job searching again. The stress of not knowing where my paycheck would be coming from every few months has taken its toll. It has been a year since my back injury. Acupuncture is helping somewhat. But did I really want to continue the stress of job searching for the sake of being in public schools? I couldn't decide.

So I started looking for positions as a nanny. Although the principal at my current job told me that working in child care positions was not helping me to find a job in the school systems, I decided that what will ultimately boost my ability to get a job as a classroom teacher would be my Master's Degree. And frankly, the jobs that were calling me back in the schools just wouldn't fund going back to school. Especially since those jobs would only be 180 days per year. So after a lot of thinking, worrying, and going back and forth, I made the decision to look for a position as a nanny.

So, that is where we are. I have had several promising interviews, and I hope to have something lined up by the end of the week. This year has been....indescribable. But I am hoping for a healthy and stable 2011. And I hope yours is as well. ;)


3 comments:

  1. I am confident that you made the right decision. I agree with you that getting your Masters degree is the path you should be pursuing...thus getting a job that will enable you to fund that goal is the one you should take. I am sending good Karma and motherly blessings your way, sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the kitties are getting along and that you're made a decisions about your job situation. I'm kinda going through the same situation of finding a job after graduation. Good luck with the nanny interviews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! I hope the nanny thing works out for you and that you can finally have a steady stream of employment again :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting! I love to hear feedback!