Saturday, March 17, 2012

Rainbow Hunt

One day, I was out and about with the little boy I nanny, and we needed something to keep ourselves busy. I came up with the idea of a Rainbow Hunt, not only to give our outing a purpose, but also to reinforce color identification (and give a little informal assessment...not necessary as a nanny, but interesting as a teacher to see if he could identify the colors in an organic setting). I will definitely be using this activity in the future, with my own children and in a classroom setting. Here's some of the items we found. 

Red

orange

yellow


yellow 

yellow (we got really into yellow that day!)

green

green

pink

 
purple

This actually spun off into a fire hydrant study...now whenever we're out walking around, we have to stop at all the fire hydrants and take their picture, to be cataloged later. There are actually a ton of different kinds of hydrants in his neighborhood, and it's become a great inquiry unit, in the broadest sense. I'm now working on a photo album of all of our pictures we've taken on our walks, organized by color. I can't wait to see how he interacts with it, and what he remembers. 

 Would you do this activity with the children in your life? 

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! This is so fun! I'll have to remember this for when Henry gets older!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting! I love to hear feedback!