Sunday, August 29, 2010

Birthday Bear Gets His Shirt!


This morning, I finally finished Birthday Bear, shirt and all! I made his shirt by printing off the text on printable fabric, which I later sewed on to the front of the shirt. The shirt itself was an adventure, and if I hadn't been in such a rush, I would have taken pictures throughout. Basically, I made it completely from scratch, using Birthday Bear as a very rough guide. The back of the shirt is much bigger than the front, since his arms sit on the front of his body. I used white cotton, which wasn't as white as the printable fabric, but I added some detail stitching to detract from that. :)


The front of the shirt is one piece, and the back is two pieces (since his head is so big!). I started out by cuffing the sleeve edges, then sewing the three pieces together so that they open like a hospital gown. Next, I hemmed the neckline and bottom of the shirt, all of this in white thread. I kept trying this on the bear over and over to make sure everything was fitting properly. I did have to take the front in a little to make it sit flat, but that was easily done.


Next, I stitched the text on the front of the shirt using a small zigzag stitch in orange cotton thread. This is the first time I've really played with length and width so I tested the stitch on a scrap of fabric first. I decided that the shirt looked too much like a lab coat, so I also added the orange zigzag around the sleeve cuffs, neckline and bottom of the shirt. To finish up, I hand stitched the two pieces in the back so that the shirt would lie flat. And that was it!


Still waiting to hear back about whether I am officially hired or not. I don't know if Slinky can sense it, but yesterday she actually let me hold her! This is something she hates, and it didn't last very long, but I needed the snuggle. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed reflecting back on all that has happened this year. The center I used to work at closed its doors on Friday and my former coworkers are posting their photos of the last day. I got this wave of finality seeing them, realizing there is absolutely no going back, only moving forward. I just wish I wasn't stuck in neutral right now (yes, a car reference!! Been practicing all weekend!).

3 comments:

  1. Slinky looks just like my kitty! She hates being held, too! :( Hope you hear good news soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that picture of you and Slinky! Your hair looks so beautiful too. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Vanessa, I've always had cats that like being held. She's the firsty one to want her space.

    Thanks Mom. I'm trying!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting! I love to hear feedback!